1. Typical of the grassland dwellers of the continent is the American
antelope, or pronghorn.
2. Of the millions who saw Haley's comet in 1986, how many people will
live long enough to
see it return in the twenty-first century？
3. Anthropologists have discovered that fear, happiness, sadness, and
universally reflected in facial expressions.
4. Because of its irritating effect on humans, the use of phenol as a
general antiseptic has been largely discontinued.
5. In group to remain in existence, a profit-making organization must,
in the long run, produce something consumers consider useful or desirable.
6. The greater the population there is in a locality, the greater the
need there is for water, transportation, and disposal of refuse.
7. It is more difficult to write simply, directly, and effectively than
to employ flowery but vague expressions that only obscure one's meaning.
8. With modern offices becoming more mechanized, designers are attempting
to personalize them
with warmer, less severe interiors.
9. The difference between libel and slander is that libel is printed while
slander is spoken.
10. The knee is the joints where the thigh bone meets the large bone of
the lower leg.
11. Acids are chemical compounds that, in water solution, have a sharp
taste, a corrosive
action on metals, and the ability to turn certain blue vegetable dyes
12. Billie Holiday's reputation as a great jazz-blues singer rests on
her ability to give emotional depth to her songs. (give something to
13. Essentially, a theory is an abstract, symbolic representation of what
is conceived to be reality.
14. Long before children are able to speak or understand a language, they
communicate through facial expressions and by making noises.
15. Thanks to modern irrigation, crops now grow abundantly in areas where
once nothing but cacti and sagebrush could live.
16. The development of mechanical timepieces spurred the search for more
accurate sundials with which to regulate them.
17. Anthropology is a science in that anthropologists use a rigorous set
of methods and techniques to document observations that can be checked
18. Fungi are important in the process of decay, which returns ingredients
to the soil, enhances soil fertility, and decomposes animal debris.
19. When it is struck, a tuning （调谐, 调整, 调音）fork produces an almost pure
tone, retaining its pitch（音量） over a long period of time.
20. Although pecans are most plentiful in the southeastern part of the
United States, they are found as far north as Ohio and Illinois.
21. Eliminating（ 消除）problems by transferring the blame to others is often
22. The chief foods eaten in any country depend largely on what grows
best in its climate and soil.
23. Over a very large number of trials, the probability of an event's
occurring is equal to the probability that it will not occur.
24. Most substance contract when they freeze so that the density of a
substance's solid is higher than the density of its liquid.
25. The mechanism by which brain cells store memories is not clearly understood.